Thursday, January 03, 2013

It is COLD!!

 I was worried about the chickens last night and this morning. At 4:30 this morning it was -7 degrees.
I went out at 6:30 to let everyone out for the day and found that they were fine. We put plastic around the outside of the greenhouse when we had wicked wind about a month ago. It made a big difference in their building last night. It was actually semi-comfortable in there with all those little bodies.
I still need to find the heat lamp! I don't want to worry about them again.
It was up to 7 above when I got home. Out of a dozen eggs, I only had to throw away 2 that were frozen. We will see what happens with the ones inside the kitchen to see if any more froze.




I found out for the former owner that the red chickens with white undertones, and clipped beaks,
 are Reich's Golden Comets. Fancy Red Sex Links. (-;
The rest of the flock are Black Sex Links, White Leghorn, White Plymouth Rocks, Easter Eggers, Ameraucanas, 1 Pearl Gray Bantam, and Bardo the Barred Rock rooster.

No comments:

Recent Comments