Thursday, June 21, 2018

7 days post surgery and a bit of my life


This shows how swollen my foot, ankle and leg still are 7 days after surgery and 18 days after I broke it. The red mark in the front of the ankle is where one of the screws connects to one (both) of the plates.
Below left is the inside of the ankle and below right is the outside of the ankle. They opened me up and put a plate in on each side. There are at least six screw pinning together 4 out of 5 of the broken bones. The 5th bone on the back of the foot/ankle was put back into place. He said it should heal on its own just being mobilized.

The nurse redressed the wounds, and a tech came in a put me in a blue fiberglass cast. In two weeks I will go back to Concord Orthopedics. They will cut off the cast and remove the sutures. I will then be put in another cast. I will not be able to put ANY weight on the foot/ankle for THREE months!!
No Farmer's Market for me. :(
 I am working my way through our oldest processed
yarn and making afghan strips. It is 100% Romney,
very soft but also very durable, spun for us by
Zeilinger Wool Company when then first started
making yarn. We were the first farm in New England
to contract with them to have yarn made. We have
had other yarn made by them that has sold extremely
well. I think this does not go as well become it is
a slightly stiffer yarn. But, it will a great afghan!
It is tucked in the bookcase behind the couch where 
I have spent many hours recovering from this 
surgery and the 2 shoulder surgeries.
 Now I have graduated to my recliner.
The big red pillow is the back cushion from an 
overstuffed chair that I love. It is safer using that
on the leg rest of the recliner to elevate my leg than
using 3 pillows. Here you can see me TV tray that
I use for the remotes and as my computer station.
On the table behind is the Bible Study I am working 
on that starts next week, all of my pills including the
daily dispenser for my vitamins, and my drink(s).
As well as the yarn and the strip I presently 
working on. I've got a good light, so I don't have
to have the overhead light on.
 Jack Black is waiting for me to get back into the
recliner so he can get back into the wheelchair.
At first they were both afraid of it, but now they 
have both decided it is theirs!
 Our TV is both my computer monitor and a TV.
 My new blue cast up on the chair cushion.
A better shot of my table. Here you can see all my
prescriptions are corralled in an egg carton.
The list of the lamp is my chart telling me what
pills I need to take when. I take one medication
every 4 hours. My cell phone alarm is set to go 
off every 4 hours 24 hours a day. Yes. Even at 1 am.

So, that is my life in a nutshell. And a small taste of
what I will be doing for the next 3 months. At least I
should have the afghan done. I don't know if it will go
on the back of the couch or on the king sized bed.
Either way we will be happy come winter snuggling
underneath a 100% wool afghan. If we can get it away from the cats!

No comments:

Recent Comments