Thursday, August 31, 2017

My head and heart hurt and my spirit feels broken

After all the time and money that went into my tomato crop, we've been hit by late blight on our tomatoes. http://www.gardeners.com/how-to/prevent-late-blight/7262.html I know in my heart that some of it is my fault for planting too close together. (They did not look like they were going to be that close when I put them in.) And, I will NOT buy plants from Home Depot  ever again.

The plants are getting pulled out and put in the wool compost pile. I do not want this in any regular compost pile as I don't want the fungus to spread. Even the sheep are not getting the affected plants and fruit. The dead plants will then be covered by fleece skirts as I work my way through the fall shearings of fleeces.

NEXT year, we will do what our butcher does and put up cedar posts and plant the tomatoes next to those. Then we will be able to walk around the plants. THIS year, I will plant winter rye where the tomatoes were to try to negate any damage done by the blight.

When I first saw the dying plants, I blamed in on the temperatures being in the low 40's for most of the week... But, then I decided to Google it. :(

 I managed to save some out of the first
20 plants I pulled. I still have 30 (or more)
plants to pull. I am hoping I can ripen the 
green ones in the house. But, it looks like
no salsa for us this year. Unless all of the 
Roma tomatoes ripen at once.
 One pile of the pulled plants.
I did not anticipate doing this 
until the first of October. :(


 Can you see the blight on the tomatoes?




 At least the zinnias were not affected.
The bumblebees are still busy collecting pollen.






 The lettuce is doing great! 
The cilantro is going to seed.
That is OK. I will see if I can get
some of that seed saved for next year.

No comments:

Recent Comments