Saturday, February 17, 2018

Shearing Keira

Keira is my oldest Dorset/Romney.
Thursday the 15th she delivered a large lamb.
The poor lamb could not nurse on her mother as
her nipples are HUGE! At least the size of my thumb.
So, since she managed to destroy her fleece. and we
needed to see what was going on under her, Jerry sheared her.


 Can you see how big those are? 
We ended up milking her into a bottle.
We then put a nipple on the bottle in order
to feed the lamb. Lambs need the mother's 
colostrum as soon as possible for the necessary
antibodies to survive and thrive.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Leeza, Mae's twin sister, also lambed Thursday morning.
 Her twin, Mae, is across from her with her own 
little one. It looks like Mae buried it in the hay to keep it warm.
The grain bag is stapled to the wall to keep the breeze/wind out.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Back to Keira.
Her bag is so big, and so low to the ground that 
the lamb has to kneel down in order to feed.
 Keira and her lamb.
Jerry is on vacation next week.
I am planning on him shearing a whole lot 
of our ewes. At least all who have lambed.
We are too close to lambing for the last 9 to be
sheared. He can do them right after they lamb.
I would be beyond thrilled if they would do 
that next week when he is home!!! My shoulder
is not liking moving sheep. Even if I am only doing
it with my right hand. I am still using all the muscles.

But, on the shoulder front. Tuesday when I saw my physical 
therapist he was not happy with me as I had undone all of my
progress for at least 2 weeks when I slipped on the ice earlier
in the week. Yesterday he said I am back to almost where I was
before and I can start using weights again. Only a 1/2 pound, 
not the full pound, but at least I am going forward again!
I see the surgeon again on the 23rd. Hopefully she will be happy
with the progress I am making and not disappointed in me slipping 
on the ice... Falling might have hurt less. :( 

Enjoy your weekend all!
And the warmer temperatures that they are calling for next week.
TTFN.

No comments:

Recent Comments